Week 2 is under our belts!
- All of our 1st – 5th grade classes have now come in for library book checkout.
- Kindergarten came to the library for an introduction lesson, but no check out…that comes this week. I read my favorite first read aloud, Wild About Books, to them.
- 2 – 5th graders reviewed how to search for a book using Destiny (check out a video I made).
- K – 5th grade classes reviewed iPad safety (each classroom/grade level has iPads for student use…before we issue the iPads each year, we do a review for classrooms on how to take care of the iPad)
- I spoke at our Kindergarten Parent Orientation. This is something new I tried this year and I would love to make it an annual event, if my Kindergarten teachers will let me! They went through the ABCs of Kindergarten (what the students learn, how “grades” are given, etc.). I shared a little presentation about what happens when their kiddos come to the library and some tips for making sure reading at home becomes a habit. I also brought my laptop and a basket of books so that they could checkout library books. I felt like it was successful! Our 1st – 5th grade curriculum night has not happened yet and since I obviously cannot attend all of their presentations, I’m thinking about sending a handout to my teachers that they can give to parents that night and maybe making a video of some sort to just have on our YouTube page that parents can watch. We’ll see…
Right now, we are in the middle of planning LOTS of upcoming events – National Library Card Sign Up Month, Dot Day, Global Read Aloud activities, Cardboard Challenge, Makerspace Moments, Star Wars READS Day, BOOK FAIR, and more! The next couple of months are going to be super busy! Whew!
What special events are you planning?