It is August 10…do you know what that means? It is time for Picture Book 10 for 10 (#pb10for10)! Each year, Picture Book 10 for 10 is hosted by Cathy Mere and Mandy Robek…it’s basically a bunch of educators sharing their top 10 picture books…what a great way to kick off a new school year and discover new books to share with your students! You can get full details by reading this blog post by Cathy. You can theme your list, but you don’t have to…I’m going to share 10 picture books I read while on maternity leave 🙂
Here are my MATERNITY LEAVE TOP 10 PICTURE BOOKS (in no special order)
- Wild About Us! By Karen Beaumont; illustrated by Janet Stevens A great one for talking about how everyone is different and that’s a good thing!
- A Fine Dessert by Emily Jenkins & Sophie Blackall Follows one dessert through four centuries. Would lead to interesting conversations comparing how things are done differently each century to create the same dessert.
- Vegetables in Underwear by Jared Chapman This one cracked me up. The illustrations are very funny…obviously! Does it get funnier than vegetables in underwear?!
- Naptime with Theo & Beau by Jessica Shyba This probably isn’t one you’d put in your classroom library, but it’s perfect for the home library! Especially if you are like me and have furbabies and a human baby. It’s SO CUTE! A baby napping with a puppy? Please!
- Please, Mr. Panda by Steve Antony I love the illustrations in this book and donuts are yummy.
- Wish by Matthew Cordell This book is darn near perfect for new parents. It really spoke to me because it is about how you wait and wish for a new family member and sometimes it is really hard to make it happen and then, if you are patient, they show up and it is perfect. Lovely.
- You are (Not) Small by Anna Kang; illustrated by Christopher Weyant Reminded me of Elephant & Piggie. A great book for early readers. Illustrations are cute too.
- A Perfectly Messed-Up Story by Patrick McDonnell I love McDonnell’s illustrations. This is a good one for those lessons about taking care of library books…
- Sidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson and Sydney Smith Wordless. Beautiful. About paying attention to the world around you.
- Ice Cream Summer by Peter Sis Beautiful illustrations. Combines facts about ice cream with a story. Great summertime read!
So, those are my favorites from the pictures books I read during my maternity leave/extended summer! How about you? What 10 picture books have YOU enjoyed?