So, I just got back from a trip to San Francisco….I really enjoyed it there.
1. North Beach. Love all the restaurants / coffee shops with outdoor seating. Love how there are strip clubs that are historical (Condor) and therefore, not seedy (like, on the outside…I did not go in – honest!). Loved all the Beat Generation history.
2. Napa Wine Train. So happy we did this wine train and NOT a whole vacation or couple of days in Napa. Once you’ve tasted some wine and seen a winery, you’ve done it. That’s the case for us, anyway.
3. 1550 Hyde. This is supposed to be a super yummy restaurant, however, we found out that there was an open mic night on Mondays…they don’t serve food, but do poetry readings. I loved this, because I felt it was a true, locals only kind of experience – not touristy at all.
4. Hilton – Fisherman’s Wharf. Very clean, in the middle of everything…the best part? They gave us chocolate and champagne because it was our 5 year wedding anniversary trip! We put that in the comments when we booked the hotel months ago, but didn’t really think anything was going to come of it. Thanks, Hilton! You’ve got guests for life 🙂
5.Pier 23. A bar with excellent food and a television. Why will I always remember Pier 23? It was where I watched the Gamecocks WIN the College World Series of Baseball.
1. Touristy stuff. A lot of SF is like a tasteful Myrtle Beach in many ways.
2. Dinner at The Stinking Rose. The food was decent, but we so wished for a meal that we would think about forever and be like “OMG, do you remember that meal in SF??” We didn’t get that there or anywhere, really. I’m bummed about the food we had, in general. Wish I had done better research as far as that goes.
One thing I did enjoy on this vacation was playing with Foursquare and Gowalla. Not so fun when we are at home, checking in to my local Publix and stuff, but go on vacation to a place that has lots of history or fashion or whatever and it’s so fun! Both Foursquare and Gowalla pop up with facts when you check in somewhere famous, such as Alcatraz or City Lights Bookstore. I like Gowalla’s trips that you can take….they kind of lead you to all the “hot spots” in any one area. Other technology I enjoyed on this trip was my Kindle – so nice to just have one “thing” to carry around, but yet it had all of my books that I was reading on it. Used it on the plane, in the hotel room, and now I’m even using it around the house (in the bedroom, outside…all my reading places). I never thought I would enjoy using it, but here I am. Also loved the Kindle app on my iPhone…when I didn’t have the Kindle with me (like in the hotel gym), I had my phone…the Kindle and the Kindle app sync up with each other, so I never had to worry about losing my place in the book I was reading – LOVED THAT! Loved having the iPhone, in general, I really don’t know what I did without it. Sure, I had a Smartphone (a Crackberry), but it wasn’t anything like the iPhone.
So, that was my trip, in a nutshell. Vacations are so nice, but it’s very nice to come back home!